1. Pick a good bottle of wine.
Do you remember last month article: Why you should drink better wines?
The point is not to buy the most expensive bottle but rather learn how to pick a good one in your price range. Here are few tips:
- Know the type of grape (aka varietal) you (or your valentine) like the best. If you want a fruitier wine, pick a wine from a warmer climate. If you prefer earthy wines, pick one from a cooler climate. That’s a good start!
- When in doubt, ask a sommelier (in the future you should consider a quick wine tasting course online or offline with us :)
Be original! More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine's Day. Do you really want to be one of them?
Still not sure? Why not attending a wine tasting course with you Valentine ? Six wines, 2 hours, a private sommelier, appetizers and a pretty good way to start a nice evening.
2. Aerate it before serving.
If you open the bottle and all you can taste is alcohol, pour your wine into a decanter for about 15 minutes. This will open up the aromas of the wine. A good piece of advice to help some red wines. Not matter the occasion (every occasion is good to drink good wine!).
3. Know your wine.
One a date, always make a good first impression. And God knows we hate awkward silence. So follow those 2 perfect ice-breakers (tested on the field):
- Find some anecdotes about the wine you are serving: At least you’ll know what to say while pouring the first glass of wine and who knows, it might lead to a nice conversation about travel or even the color of her dress.
- Try to match your date’s personality to the wine...Use the wine characteristics (strong, soft, light, tanins, acidic…) as an ice-breaker for the conversation.
4. Never pick the 2nd cheapest wine.
Restaurants know you don’t want to look cheap. They know you won’t pick the cheapest wine on the list, so they actually make the highest margin on the second cheapest wine! Splurge a little, it is Valentine’s day of course!
5. Pick the right valentine… but that is up to you.
Ready for your date? The Wiine.Me team has a passion for wine, and it has always been a great help for fancy and romantic diners!
That is why we recently launched the Wine Academy, free online wine courses, linked to the wine you receive every month? This way you’ll never have to worry about picking a good bottle of wine ever again!
The Wiine.Me Team.