What is a great meal without wine?! Sometimes it can be hard to pick out the best bottle, so here are some wine and food pairing rules to keep in mind...
- Varietal: This means the type of grape used in the wine. You can have a single varietal wine or a wine with multiple varietals. For example: A white Burgundy (aka Bourgogne) is made of the varietal Chardonnay.
- Dry Wine: a wine that is not sweet. As in, a wine that has no residual sugar. When wine is made, the grape sugar is converted to alcohol. When there is no sugar (or very little sugar) left the wine is considered dry. The opposite? A dessert wine.
- The Formula for Wine: Sugar (grape juice) + yeast = Alcohol & CO2
- Vintage: The year the grapes were harvested
- Wine Tasting:Actually tasting & thinking about the wine in your glass, not just drinking it ;)